This class is for anyone in the local community who suffers from PTSD or severe Anxiety and would like to train their dog to become an Assistance Dog. To Enrol in Brigitte’s Assistance Dog Program
Dogs must not exhibit the following :
- Boisterous behaviour
- Showing teeth
- Inappropriate elimination
Any dog exhibiting any one of the above behaviours will not be accepted into the program.
Dogs must be at least 5 months of Age to start the Basic Training.
You must complete the 10 Week Basic Alpha class and attend at least 8 of the 10 weeks training sessions. For information about this class please go to Classes page.
After the 10 Week Basic Alpha Class (Level 1)
- The Instructor will assess the suitability of the dog for the Assistance dog Program
- Upon acceptance to the program a Home Visit will be arranged
- Dog must not put Brigitte’s Dog School or the Program in disrepute
- Dog must be fully vaccinated, registered with your local Council and Microchipped
Assistance Dog Program (Level 2)
- You must become a Member (fee applies)
- A fee will be charged per training session
- Once you are a member you will be given a Learners Jacket and ID.
- You must attend at least 3 weeks per month to be assessed for the Public Access Test (PAT.)
- Once you have passed the PAT the “L” can be removed from the jacket and a Full ID will be provided
- The ID is only valid for 12 months and a Yearly Assessment must be made to ensure your dog is still able to work as an Assistance Dog
- You must keep your Annual Membership up to date or an ID will not be provided and the Jacket will need to be returned to Brigitte’s Assistance Dogs Vic
Class Training Levels
- Level 1 – Training for ‘L’ Jacket (10 Week Basic Alpha Class)
- Level 2 – Training for Full Jacket (PAT)
- Level 3 – Continued training after PAT Pass